The California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) is responsible for implementing Medi-Cal payments to providers to deliver Adverse Childhood Experience (ACE) screenings for children and adults under age 65 in the Medi-Cal program.
Below is a list of implementation resources for providers, Medi-Cal managed care health plans, and other stakeholders. This site will be updated as additional resources are available.
ACE Screening Implementation
Trauma Attestation Newsflash (January 13, 2020)
- Medi-Cal publication alerting providers that the Trauma Screening Training Attestation page is available on the Medi-Cal Website.
- The purpose of this All Plan Letter (APL) is to provide MCPs with guidance on directed payments, funded by the California Healthcare, Research and Prevention Tobacco Tax Act of 2016 (Proposition 56), for the provision of standardized ACE screening services for adults (through 64 years of age) and children.
DHCS Stakeholder Update: Trauma & Developmental Screenings Webinar (December 11, 2019)
- This webinar provides policy implementation updates on trauma and developmental screenings.
ACE Screening NewsFlash (December 3, 2019)
- Medi-Cal publication that screening for ACEs is a Medi-Cal-covered benefit.
ACE Screening Policy Development
- Assembly Bill (AB) 340 (Arambula, Chapter 700, Statutes of 2017) required DHCS and the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) to convene a workgroup to advise on the appropriate tools and protocols for screening children for trauma within the Medi-Cal Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic, and Treatment (EPSDT) benefit. The link above contains information about the AB 340 Trauma Screening Advisory Workgroup members, past meeting archives, and additional resources. As mandated by AB 340, the workgroup submitted a letter to DHCS and the Legislative budget subcommittees on health and human services outlining their evaluation and recommendations.
Proposition 56 Trauma Screenings Proposal (March 2019)
- Trauma Screenings Policy Proposal from DHCS for public comment (closed March 22, 2019).
Proposition 56 Developmental and Trauma Screenings Webinar (March 12, 2019)
- This webinar provides an overview of the trauma screenings policy proposal.
Assembly Bill 340: Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnosis, and Treatment Program: Trauma Screening