Suicide and Mental Health Crisis
- 988 California Suicide Prevention & Mental Health Crisis Lifeline: The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: If you or someone you know is in crisis — whether they are considering suicide or not — make a free and confidential call to speak with a trained crisis counselor 24/7.
- CalHOPE: Builds community resiliency and helps people recover from disasters and public health emergencies through free outreach, crisis counseling, and support services, including individual and group crisis counseling and support, individual and public education, community networking and support, connection to resources, and media and public service announcements.
- CalHOPE Connect: Offers safe, secure, and culturally sensitive emotional support for all Californians who may need support related to stress, anxiety, depression, and worries we face.
- Youth suicide
- The JED Foundation (for emotional health and suicide prevention), Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or text “START” to 741-741
Sexual Assault, Intimate Partner Violence, and Dating Violence
- For adults, contact the National Domestic Violence hotline 24/7 if you think you may be experiencing abuse, if you have a family member or a friend you are concerned about, or if you are worried about your own use of violence.
- Call 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
- Text “START” to 88788
- Chat live online at thehotline.org
- For teenagers and young adults, contact the free, confidential Love is Respect hotline 24/7 if you have questions about your relationship, dating, or your personal safety.
- Contact the National Sexual Assault hotline whose trained staff who can provide confidential crisis support.
- Call 800-656-HOPE (4673)
- Chat live online at rainn.org
To support LGBTQ+ youth who are in crisis
Addictions and Substance misuse
- SAMHSA’s National Helpline is a free, confidential, 24/7, 365-day-a-year treatment referral and information service (in English and Spanish) for individuals and families facing mental and/or substance use disorders.
- 1-800-662-HELP (4357) (also known as the Treatment Referral Routing Service), or TTY: 1-800-487-4889
Natural or Human-Caused Disasters
- SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline provides 24/7, 365-day-a-year crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters.
- Call or text (800) 985-5990 (For Spanish, press “2”) to be connected to a trained counselor.
For more mental health tools and resources go to our Mental Healthcare page.